Type of Visas and requirements Type of Visas and requirements

Type of Visas and requirements


Basic requirements of documents for any type of visa are as follows.
(a) Print out of duly filled and signed Online application form with photograph of prescribed size, photo copies of National Identity card /Passport, and other requirements specific to different type of visas.
(b) Additional documentation as demanded by AHCI in case of requirement.

  • Tourist Visa: Tourist visa is granted up to 6 months for anyone who wishes to visit India for tourism purpose. Tourist visa is non-extendable and non-convertible except on emergency medical cases, etc.
  • Transit Visa: A transit visa is granted for the sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel through India to reach his / her ultimate destination. Change of purpose is not allowed. The visa will ordinarily be valid for a single/double journey and for entry within 30 days of date of issue. The Transit visa is valid for direct transit only for a maximum period of 3 days. For a stay in India beyond 3 days, an appropriate visa should be obtained. Please note the validity of the visa is effective from the date of issue.(Ticket booking details should be submitted along with application)
  • Business Visa: Business Visa is granted to a foreign national who wants to visit India to establish an industrial/business venture or to explore possibilities to set up industrial/business venture, or wants to purchase/sell industrial products in India etc. ( Requirements: Registration of company in Sri Lanka, Letter from the company/establishment detailing the business requirement, Latest invoices of import or export, Letter of invitation giving details about the business from the company/establishment in India, bank statement showing financial position of the applicant or any other additional information demanded by AHCI)
  • Student Visa: Student visa is issued to applicants who wish to pursue studies in recognized universities, schools and other institutions in India. (Requirements: Provisional Admission and Eligibility certificate from recognized university, admission letter from the College where admission is taken, Fee paid receipt for admission, tuition fee, etc for one year, Bank statement for financial guarantee of at least US$ 2000/-.
  • Medical Visa: Medical visa is issued to any person who wishes to undergo treatment in India. (Requirements: Medical papers including diagnosis papers from any recognized hospital in Sri Lanka, references made by Sri Lankan hospitals or doctors to Indian hospitals/doctors, letter from Indian hospitals giving appointment, financial guarantee in the form of bank statements).
  • Medical Attendant Visa: Two persons (usually close relatives) can accompany a patient who needs hospitalization in India. They need to apply for Medical Attendant Visa and they must accompany the patient to and from India. (Requirements: Same as Medical visa)
  • Conference Visa: It is granted to those who wish to participate in any international conference/seminar/workshop being organized by Ministries/ Departments of Government of India, State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, Universities, UN organizations etc. in India. AHCI may seek clarification from Government of India or sponsors if need arises. (Requirements: Letter of invitation from organizers of the event in India and sponsors in Sri Lanka)
  • Employment Visa: Only highly skilled professionals or specialists, for which suitable candidates are not available in India, can be granted Employment Visa if one has a job contract with an Indian entity. As per latest guidelines, anyone offered a salary of less than US$ 25,000/- per annum will not be granted Employment Visa. (Requirements: Agreement signed between employer and employee, educational certificates proving the qualification, copy of the registration of the company under companies act or any other document required by AHCI).
    Please note that the condition of annual income for Employment visa does not apply to ethnic language teachers/translators.
  • Journalist Visa: People in the print or electronic media are supposed to apply for Journalist Visa, even if they are going to India for tourism or any other purpose. (Requirements: credentials of Journalist, Letter from the employer if the journalist is going to take up short term assignments.)
  • Entry Visa: It is generally granted to those, whose spouse is an Indian national. Those who are going for training purposes, accompanying spouse who is employed in India, etc are also issued Entry Visa case to case basis. (Requirements: Marriage certificates, Passport copy of spouse, Resident permit copies of previous visit on Entry visa, etc.)